The Volunteer and Information Center and United Way of Henderson County, in partnership with the Green River Asset Building Coalition (GRABC) will provide a Volunteer Tax Assistance Site (VITA) in Henderson County for the 2017/18 tax year.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $60,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. All of our tax preparation services including filing electronically is free of charge.
Tax filers should bring the following items to the tax site in order to file your tax return:
- Picture ID
- Social Security cards for self, spouse, and children, or Individual Taxpayer ID number (ITIN) for self, spouse and children
- Income information (W-2s)
- Information for other additional income (Social Security, Unemployment, etc.)
- Proof of tuition expenses (1098-T from college)
- Information for all deductions and credits
- For Direct Deposit: Personal bank account number and bank’s routing number
- Proof of Health Insurance (1095).
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Site is located at the Henderson Housing Authority, 111 South Adams Street. The site will be open on Saturday starting February 3, 2018, from 9 am to 12 pm and will remain open every Monday and Tuesday from 3 pm till 7 pm and through Saturday, April 14, 2018. Our site will coincide with the school schedule for inclement weather. We will be closed Saturday, March 31, 2018, for the Easter Holiday.
Volunteers are still being recruited into the program. To sign up to be a volunteer for the program call the Volunteer and Information Center office at 270.831.2273 or visit volunteerhenderson.org.